MySQL - Introduction
MySQL is an open-source relational database management system (RDBMS). A relational database organizes data into data tables in which data types may be related to each other. These relations help structure the data. SQL is a language programmers use to create, modify and extract data from the relational database, as well as control user access to the database. In addition to relational databases and SQL, MySQL works with an operating system to implement a relational database in a computer's storage system, manages users, allows for network access and facilitates testing database integrity and creation of backups.
MySQL is free and open-source software under the terms of the GNU General Public License, and is also available under a variety of proprietary licenses. MySQL has stand-alone clients that allow users to interact directly with a MySQL database using SQL, but more often, MySQL is used with other programs to implement applications that need relational database capability. Some important features of MySQL are given below:
- MySQL is a relational database management systems (RDBMS).
- MySQL is a free and open-source software.
- MySQL is a fast, easy-to-use RDBMS being used for many small and big businesses.
- MySQL uses a standard form of the well-known SQL data language. SQL is a simple language and it is very easy to understand and learn.
- MySQL works on many operating systems and with many languages including PHP, PERL, C, C++, JAVA, etc.
- MySQL works very quickly and works well even with large data sets.
- MySQL is very friendly to PHP, the most appreciated language for web development.
- MySQL is customizable. The open-source GPL license allows programmers to modify the MySQL software to fit their own specific environments.
Who Uses MySQL
- MySQL is used by many popular websites, including Facebook, Flickr, MediaWiki, Twitter, and YouTube.
- MySQL is used by many database-driven web applications, including Drupal, Joomla, phpBB, and WordPress.
- MySQL is used by a large number of web developers around the world.
Display Data on Website
To display data on a website from a database, it requires following:
- A RDBMS database software, like MySQL
- A server-side scripting language, like PHP
- SQL query to retrieve data from the database system
- HTML / CSS to style the page content